Monday, April 1, 2013

Daily League News & Notes

Arena Football League
Shock Improve to 2-0 After 76-61 Win
The Shock went on the road again in week two of the 2013 Net 10 Wireless Arena Football League season against the Chicago Rush in a National Conference match up.
Chicago opened the game relying on veteran wide receiver Reggie Gray to create big plays, which he showed early with a kick return to the 25-yard line followed by a 23-yard reception to to open the door for a 2-yard rushing touchdown by Payne giving Chicago the early 7-0 lead. Shock quarterback Meyer connected on 7 of 10 passes for 105 yards and 3 touchdowns to three different receivers (Tennell, Black, Solomon) in the first quarter of play. With Solomon's touchdown catch, he would increase his streak to seven straight games with a receiving touchdown. Rush fullback Payne would reach the end zone on two rushing scores while quarterback Coffman and wide receiver Wright would connect on a 27-yd touchdown pass, closing the quarter out with the Rush on top 21-20.
Lightning struck in the opening of the second quarter as Spokane received the kick after the final Chicago score in the first quarter. Shock kick return specialist Terrance Sanders would take the kick 55-yards to the end zone to put Spokane back on top 27-21. After Chicago answered on another touchdown reception by wide receiver Reggie Gray, Shock quarterback Erik Meyer would orchestrate a masterful drive. After scrambling for 7-yards to set up a fourth and short conversion to Solomon for 16-yards, Meyer would follow with a touch pass over the jack linebacker to Tennell to move the ball to the 2-yard line, setting up a short touchdown run by wide receiver Solomon coming out of high motion. On the ensuing kickoff, Shock kicker Kenny Spencer would connect on a bar ball kickoff that would be recovered on the 3-yard line by defensive back Paul Stephens who walked into the end zone for another Shock score, extending the lead to 41-28. Chicago would respond once more with a touchdown pass from Coffman to Gray to bring the game within one score, but a failed onside kick attempt would set Spokane up on the 19-yard line and enough field to burn the clock to 15.1 seconds and score on a short run by Erik Meyer to close out the half with Spokane on top 48-34.
Second half action would continue with the Shock's on-point offense and play calling by Head Coach Andy Olson. Meyer would find Tennell on a 6-yard touchdown pass to extend the lead to three scores before Rush quarterback Coffman would answer on his own short touchdown pass on a 6-yard screen play to offensive lineman Colin Madison, his first reception of the season. Wasting little time, Shock quarterback Erik Meyer would find rookie wide receiver Kamar Jorden on a deep post route from 30-yards out for the touchdown to close the third quarter out at 62-41.
Chicago would open the final quarter with a short touchdown catch by wide receiver Forse from Coffman from two-yards out to bring the game back within two scores. On Spokane's next position and in what would be a back-breaking play on a fourth and sixteen, Shock quarterback Erik Meyer would find wide receiver Solomon from 30-yards out for the touchdown to put Spokane up 69-48. Despite an injury earlier in the game Rush wide receiver Reggie Gray continued to play a key role in the Rush offense, even while limping between plays in obvious pain. Working their way down field Rush quarterback Coffman would find Gray on a slant route from 12-yards out, only to be answered by yet another touchdown connection between Shock quarterback Erik Meyer to wide receiver Adron Tennell on a 6-yard crossing route to extend their lead to 76-55. After an off the wall touchdown catch by wide receiver Reggie Gray from Coffman from 16-yards out to pull the game again within two scores, Spokane would cruise to the finish behind quarterback Erik Meyer to close the game by a final score of 76-61.
The Shock will continue on their three game road trip next weekend as they prepare to take on the Iowa Barnstormers who are also off to a 2-0 start on the season. The game is set for Friday, April 5th in Des Moines, IA with a 5:05 PM PST kickoff.
VooDoo Fall Short against Iowa
Big plays on offense was the story as the New Orleans VooDoo (1-1) come up short in its first meeting with the Iowa Barnstormers (2-0), falling 48-34 on Saturday night.
Iowa hit the ground running on its first drive as Russell Athletic Offensive Player of the Game quarterback J.J. Raterink found wide receiver Collin Taylor for 44 yards. That big play set up a one yard run by receiver Marco Thomas. Raterink was less efficient than his first outing, but he completed 15-30 passes for 253 yards and four touchdowns. He was sacked three times and threw an interception, but he also rushed for two scores on nine carries.
The VooDoo failed to capitalize on a series of opportunities late in the first quarter. The Barnstormers were penalized five times on defense on the VooDoo's second possession of the period, but VooDoo fullback Bruce Figgins was unable to punch it in. Quarterback Kurt Rocco threw two incomplete passes to turn it over on downs. Iowa later scored on the ensuing possession. Rocco had a much better night than last week statistically, completing 23-46 passes for 259 yards and four touchdowns, but he also threw two costly interceptions.
Iowa built a 14 point lead in the second quarter as Raterink found Thomas for two touchdowns. Thomas led all Iowa receivers with nine receptions for 86 yards and two touchdowns. New Orleans was able to close within eight after Rocco tossed a 13 yard touchdown to wide receiver Derek Lee. The halftime score was 28-20 after the missed extra point attempt.
The VooDoo opened the third quarter with a turnover as Rocco fumbled at the Iowa 23-yard line. Riddell Defensive Player of the Game, defensive back Errick McIntosh, recovered the fumble. McIntosh led the way defensively with 10 tackles and an interception. The Barnstormers increased their lead to double digits once more as Raterink hurled a 36-yard TD pass to wide receiver Darius Reynolds to make it 34-20. The VooDoo kept fighting as a big 39-yard pass and catch from Rocco to Lee set up a Figgins two yard run to cut the lead to 34-27.
The Barnstormers turned it over on downs to start the fourth quarter, but the VooDoo was unable to answer as Rocco was intercepted in the end zone by McIntosh. Iowa capitalized on the pick as Raterink made the biggest play of the night as he found Reynolds for a 39-yard score, which was the game's Cutters Catch of the Game and the AFL Highlight of the Game. This put Iowa up 41-27. New Orleans answered right back as Rocco tossed a 16-yard touchdown to wide receiver Donovan Morgan, who suited up for the first time this season after missing last week with an injury. New Orleans tried an onside kick for another chance on offense, but Iowa recovered. The Barnstormers turned that into a score as Raterink ran in a touchdown from a yard out to quiet the comeback and make the score 48-34.
New Orleans had one more chance, but Iowa defensive back Ter'Ran Benton intercepted Rocco to finish the game. Iowa kick returner Jason Simpson was the game's J. Lewis Small Playmaker of the Game as he averaged 22.3 yards on kick returns, including a game long of 48 yards to set up an Iowa touchdown drive.
Quarterback Mcpherson Leads Storm Over Gladiators, 69-47
Quarterback Adrian McPherson, who ran for a team-record 5 touchdowns last week, tuned up his arm by passing for 8 TDs and 362 yards, without an interception, as the Tampa Bay Storm defeated the Cleveland Gladiators, 69-47, Saturday night in an Arena Football League game on the Amalie Motor Oil Field in the Tampa Bay Times Forum.
McPherson also ran for two more scores of 1 and 14 yards.
Tampa Bay evened its AFL record to 1-1 and Cleveland fell to 0-2.
Storm wide receiver Joe Hills used his 6-5 frame in making 10 catches for 155 yards and three touchdowns.
Tampa Bay held serve in the 3rd period and had a 49-41 lead.
The Storm took a 35-27 halftime lead by closing out the 2nd quarter with a pair of touchdowns. McPherson connected with Hills for 15 yards with 1:52 left. An onside kick by Tampa Bay was recovered by the Storm with 56 seconds remaining. McPherson went to work driving the Storm 40 yards on 4 plays and hitting Michael Lindsey for 18 yards with only 7 second left.
Hills had 112 first-half yards on 7 catches and a pair of scores. McPherson was four of 7 for 200 yards and 4 TDs.
The Tampa Bay Storm hit the road this week as it takes on the Utah Blaze at Energy Solutions Arena (Salt Lake City, UT) on Saturday, April 6...Kickoff is at 10:00 PM EST.

Champions Professional Indoor Football League
Outlaws Fall To Bombers
The Mid-Missouri Outlaws went on the road to take on the Salina Bombers on Saturday (Mar.30) at the Bicentennial Center. The Outlaws were looking to gain their first win since losing the previous two. Mid-Missouri hung with the Bombers throughout three quarters. The Bombers won the game 43-21.
"The team made a lot of little mistakes, but we stepped up and proved we can make big plays happen" said running back Marcus James.
Quarterback Kyle Middleton was 19 for 39 passing for 148 yards through the air with two interceptions. Wide Receiver Josh Reid had 76 yards receiving on 8 attempts. The highlight of the game came with Colton Miller sacked the bombers quarterback in the end zone and defensive linemen Trey Jackson recovered the fumble for a touchdown.
The Outlaws are now off to an 0-3 start and will take on the Kansas Coyotes next weekend in Sedalia. The Coyotes lost to the Ohama Beef 54-27. Both the Outlaws and Beef will have an 0-3 record coming into the game on Sat.
The game is scheduled for 7:05 P.M at the Mathewson Exhibition Center in Sedalia Mo. The theme of the game is support the airmen night.
The Mid-Missouri Outlaws are a professional indoor football team based out of Sedalia, Missouri. They are members of the Champions Professional Indoor Football League that plays eight-man arena football. The Outlaws are Three-Time Central Plains Football League (CPFL) Champions. They bring together the experience and passion to build a championship team with local talent while promoting organized competitive football programs for youth.
Wild Continue Win Streak with Victory over Edge
With the Wichita Wild (4-0) riding a three game winning streak to open the season and hosting the Bloomington Edge (1-2) on Saturday night, they received another stifling defensive performance, led by defensive end Matt Moss to clinch a victory in a game the Wild led the entire way. Quarterback Rocky Hinds cashed in on six touchdowns, four through the air and four on the ground, being a key part in Wichita's ease in moving the ball on the offensive end.
The game started with wide receiver Tim Simmons returning the opening kickoff to the Bloomington 17 yard line, then receiving two passes with the second resulting in a six yard touchdown pass from Hinds to give Wichita an early 7-0 lead. The Edge struck back quick via two crucial penalties by the Wild, culminating in a one yard touchdown but a missed extra point to trim lead 7-6. Wichita would extend their lead to 13-6 with Hinds throwing a two yard touchdown pass to Chris Hemphill. On the next possession for Bloomington, facing a third and 18, James McCartney forced a fumble that Wichita recovered on the Bloomington five yard line. Wichita capitalized on the turnover two plays later with a touchdown via a two yard quarterback sneak by Hinds, pushing the Wild lead to 20-6 as time expired in the first quarter.
At the start of the second quarter, the Edge had a fourth and goal from the Wild three yard line, with Kendrick Harper break up a fade pass to the corner of the end zone. The next play, however, Hinds would throw his first interception of the season, giving the Edge a chance to build momentum. Two plays later, Matt Moss kept the Edge at bay with two consecutive sacks on third and fourth down for the Edge to force a turnover on downs. Wichita capitalized again on the excellent defense with another quarterback sneak by Hinds to extend their lead to 26-6. Bloomington's LaVaughn Macon was able to break down the Wild defense at the end of the first half with a touchdown to bring the score, 26-14.
Wichita's defense closed the door on Bloomington in the second half, with several drives ending in turnover on downs. Running back Tywon Hubbard ripped off a 14 yard touchdown run early in the quarter to further distance the Wild from the Edge, 33-14. The Wild again transitioned a turnover on downs into a touchdown, this time with Hinds finding Joe Kassanavoid with a ten yard touchdown pass. The Wild then forced an Edge safety and followed it up with a 13 yard touchdown pass combining for eight points to extend the lead to 49-14 as the third quarter came to an end.
Alex Fambrough opened scoring in the final quarter by connecting on the first field goal of the game, giving Wichita a 52-14. A few drives later, the Edge would finally break through with a touchdown pass and two-point conversion, but would do no good as the Wild took their fourth win of the season in the final, 52-22.
The Wild will be on the road for the next two weeks, first taking on the Kansas City Renegades in Kemper Arena next Saturday and the Bloomington Edge in U.S. Cellular Coliseum on April 12th; kickoff for both games is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. CST. The game can be heard on 1410 AM KGSO in the Wichita area or streamed live on Wichita will return home on April 20th, hosting long-time rivals, the Omaha Beef.
The Renegades Pick Up First Win Of The Season, Downing Oklahoma 54-47
The Renegades got off the schneid in a big way Saturday, with a 54-47 win over the Oklahoma Defenders at Kemper Arena. After turnovers had marred them in their first two games (both losses), KC played a clean game Saturday, with just one turnover compared to three for the Defenders.
Protecting the ball was key. The KC offense had moved the ball in their previous games, but couldn’t recover from giveaways.
Last night that wasn’t an issue. Quarterback Dennis Gile threw 7 touchdown passes on his way to a 19-27 day. He had to operate behind a makeshift offensive line.
“[Gile] played outstanding, the offensive line has to get a little better but they hung in there,” coach Ken Matous said. “What’s amazing is that we had a center who isn’t a center play most of the game [nose tackle Brandon Ford], and he played against an All-AFL tenured vet Aaron McConnell. He did a great job and helped us win this football game.”
The score was 40-37 in the middle of a wild fourth quarter. The Defenders were answering every Renegade touchdown with a score of their own. But with two minutes to play, KC scored to go up 47-39. On the Defenders’ next drive, Oklahoma got inside the 20, but QB Rico Watkins’ pass fell into the hands of Renegade Donte Moore.
Gile led KC down the field for another score, putting the Renegades out of Oklahoma’s reach. Oklahoma added one more score, but KC recovered the kickoff, and Gile kneeled the clock dead.
The Renegades, 1-2, face the undefeated Wichita Wild next Saturday at Kemper Arena. Gile says getting the first win helps the team’s confidence going into a tough matchup next week.
“Getting the win lets guys come together instead of pointing fingers. Especially on a team with this much talent, when you lose you point fingers because you don’t understand why you’re losing,” Gile said. “But this win shows that when we come together and play as a team, we can win every game.”

Indoor Football League
Blizzard Get First Win in Dramatic Fashion
DB/WR B.J Hill caught a 20- yard touchdown on the Blizzard's first play of second overtime to propel the Blizzard to a 41-38 victory over the previously unbeaten Cedar Rapids Titans, Saturday night.
The Green Bay Blizzard get their first victory of the season as the Titans fall to 4-1 on the season. It was also the Blizzard's first overtime victory in their ten-year history.
After allowing a Titans touchdown pass to WR Carl Sims with just 13.4 second remaining in regulation the Blizzard received the ball and with 2.4 seconds remaining lined up for the game-tying FG. Jordan Wettstein converted the kick but it was not without controversy due to the low ceilings of the Cedar Rapids Ice Arena.
Defense was the name of the game as Blizzard defense held the Titans to their lowest point total all season long. The team shut down former Blizzard teammates in Laron Council, WR Bryan Pray and WR Desmond Tardy. The Blizzard's defense has now combined to give up only 79 points over the last three games, an average of just 26 points per game.
The game opened quickly in the Titans favor as DB T.J Simmons returned the opening kickoff to the Blizzard's two-yard line and RB LaRon Council quickly finished off the drive with a touchdown to give the Titans an early 7-0 lead. The Blizzard quickly rebounded as QB Donovan Porterie connected with WR Marquel Willis for a 26-yard TD to even the game.
At the top of the second quarter, Portiere found WR Ryan Balentine to give the Blizzard a lead however the Titans were able to add a touchdown pass to Carl Sims to help give the Titans a 19-14 lead at halftime.
The third quarter was a largely defensive affair and was scoreless until late in the quarter. Blizzard QB Spencer Ohm was intercepted. The Titans quickly capitalized as QB Colton Hansen found WR Carl Sims for a 35-yard touchdown, one of his three on the night.
The Blizzard were able to add two touchdowns at the top of the fourth quarter to retake the lead 29-25. However the Titans added the touchdown pass to Sims with just 13.4 seconds remaining. The Blizzard lined up for the game-tying kick with just 2.9 seconds remaining and Jordan Wettstein converted the FG despite the kick hitting the top of the Cedar Rapids Ice arena.
In overtime both teams traded field goals in the first overtime. In the second OT the Blizzard held the Titans to a field goal by Radamez Rubio. On the Blizzard' first play of second OT, Porterie found B.J Hill in the endzone to give the Blizzard the victory 41-38.
QB Donovan Porterie rebounded this game after leading the Blizzard to just 17 points last week. Porterie threw four touchdowns with a dramatic game-winning overtime pass going to B.J Hill. He finished the game with completing 11 of 22 passes for 165 yards, four TDs, and one INT.
RB Joel Yogerst led the Blizzard in rushing with 16 carries for 56 yards. WR Ryan Balentine led the team in receiving yards with 5 receptions for 76. Derek Earls led the defense with 13 tackles and a sack.
The Blizzard travel to Sioux Falls to take on the defending IFL champion Sioux Falls Storm next Sunday April 7 at 4.P.M.
Colorado Ice Move to 4-1 with Win
The Colorado Ice win the first of three meetings with the Wyoming Cavalry 54 - 36. After the fumble recovery for a touchdown by Conrad Obi (40) in the 3rd quarter, the Ice only allowed one more score by the Cavalry in the 4th quarter.
The Ice offense combined for 6 touchdowns, 3 passing and 3 rushing. Willie Copeland (13) had 112 passing yards while going 11 for 19 passing. Copeland once again targeted Helwege (88) for 2 touchdowns and had a 33 yard touchdown pass to Kyle Kaiser (3). James Jones (8) had 10 carries for 41 yards and 2 touchdowns, while Cordera Eason (28) had 9 carries for 37 yards and 1 touchdown.
With a tough start for the defense in the first half, they came back in the second half making touchdowns and getting safeties. Obi having the fumble recovery in the end zone and the PAT run back for a safety by Lamar "Marty" Markett (22) where highlights on defense. Mychal Sisson (7) played three positions tonight, stepping in at defensive end and nose guard, while also having a productive night as linebacker. Gabe Knapton (33) pressured the line and quarterback all night getting a sack, which makes 2 sacks in as many games he has been with the team.
Defensive end Michael Stover (97) is the Runza player of the game after taking over on offense when the Ice lost linemen to injury, Stover made an impact by going both ways during the game. With the bye week the Runza Player of the game meet and greet will be moved to Tuesday April 16th from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
The Ice are on a bye week during the first week in April and will face the Nebraska Danger (3-1) on April 13th on Majestic Roofing Field at the Budweiser Events Center in Loveland, CO.

Legends Football League
Legends Football League fans will be able to watch all the gridiron action of the 2013 season in the US across major Pay-Per-View TV outlets to include Cable and Satellite.
For the Opening Night match-up between the Jacksonville Breeze and the Atlanta Steam fans will be treated to a one-time FREE WEBCAST on the LFL’s official YouTube channel ( as well as on the LFL’s official Facebook page ( on Saturday, April 6th at 8pmEST | 5pmPST.
Starting April 13th, US fans will be able to start watching television broadcasts all over the US across major PPV outlets in high-definition. (PPV pricing to be announced next week). The outlets will be similar to major UFC and WWE events.
Also starting on April 13th, outside of the US, LFL fans will have access to online PPV on
Countries with LFL broadcasters will have all games available via free-to-air or cable, check your local listings.

Lone Star Football League
Bandits Make Change At Head Coach Position
The San Angelo Bandits Management Team has made the decision to make a change in the Head Coach position. The management team including Coach Simpson came to a mutual agreement to make this change. The Owner of the Bandits, Randy Sanders is quoted to say " We are making this change at this time for strategic reasons and we wish Chris Simpson all the best in his future endeavors."
The Head Coach position has been accepted by Dixie Wooten. Dixie has been involved in Indoor Football for many years as an accomplished quarter back and this past season he coach at the Allen Texans as both the Offensive Coordinator and Head Coach. Dixie is quoted to say " I am very appreciative of being given this opportunity especially in San Angelo. I started my Indoor Football Career in San Angelo and hopefully have gain the knowledge to bring this team to a winning team." Dixie will be arriving in San Angelo today and we hope to do a Media Conference later this week.

Professional Indoor Football League
Raiders Defeat Nighthawks, 51-36
The Raiders erased an early 15 point deficit and used a timely second half takeaway to build a lead, then answered every Knoxville challenge down the stretch to get their second win over the Nighthawks in as many weeks with a 51-36 victory. T.C. Stevens gave the Raiders momentum "" and their first lead "" with a long field goal as time ran out in the first half, and Roshawn Marshall added a fumble and a pass deflection to stifle any hopes of a Knoxville comeback. As they did last week, Knoxville took the opening kickoff and drove for a touchdown, with Daccus Turman finishing off the drive with a three yard run. The Raiders were unable to get a first down and turned the ball over at their own 15, and three plays all Turman runs "" and an uno later the Nighthawks were up 15-0.
Warren Smith found his groove, connecting with Herb Jones on a 36 yard pass to set up a seven yard toss to a wide open Nick Royal for the Raiders' first touchdown. Then, after dropping Turman for a three yard loss on third and one, a missed field goal gave the Raiders possession. Mike Jones capped off an eight play, 40 yard drive with a one yard plunge that pulled the Raiders to within two. Nighthawks quarterback Randy Hippeard answered with a 29 yard bomb to Deandre Brown, but Jones was up to the task again, scoring from a yard out again on the same play call.
Knoxville took over with 1:35 left in the half nursing a two point lead, but the Raiders appeared to force another field goal attempt on fourth and four. An offsides penalty extended the drive, but defensive lineman Joseph Marshall, playing in his first game, sacked Hippeard to more than make up for the penalty yardage, and eventually the field goal unit came out again. Armando Cuko misssed a 47 yarder with three seconds left. That gave the Raiders time for one last play before halftime, and T.C. Stevens drilled a 52 yard field goal to put the Raiders on top, 23-22, at the break.
The Raiders extended their lead once the second half began, as Herb Jones accounted for 31 of the 35 yards on the drive including the final nine for a touchdown. Roshawn Marshall made a beautiful, textbook tackle on the Nighthawks' first play to stop Kelvin Bolden a yard shy of the first down. The call on second and one was a screen pass to Deandre Brown, which Marshall and the Raiders were ready for. Marshall made initial contact with three teammates in pursuit, Brown fumbled and the Raiders recovered. Smith went for the jugular, connecting with Chris Schubert on an 18-yard touchdown and the Raiders led by 15.
Hippeard engineered two more scoring drives, but each time the Raiders answered with a touchdown of their own, with Smith running in from seven yards and throwing a beautiful fade pass to Antwun Williams to account for the game's last score. The Nighthawks got the ball back with 4:47 to play and a chance for a score and an onside kick, but the Raiders ensured the first part of that equation would never come to pass. Brandon Grier sacked Hippeard, forcing Knoxville to spend precious minutes getting those yards back, and Marshall knocked down Hippeard's deep pass on fourth and seven.
The win puts the Raiders (2-1) in a three-way tie for second place in the PIFL. Knoxville drops to 0-4. The Raiders are off next week and return home to host the Lehigh Valley SteelHawks on April 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment